Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Atrax Chrome Kit pen : Tulip bud shape.


Atrax  Chrome Kit pen : Tulip bud shape.

I made this pen last night.  As usual, I do not have a lathe at home now, so I used a previously  made part finished  pen body and an Atrax kit.

This is the semi-finished body I used from stock.
 
Regular Atrax Kit pens come with parallel sides, but in this one I have tried to add a curvature. The overall shape is inspired by tulip bud. Seemed to
 look good.
 
The Body
 
 

 
This pen has come out with almost no construction flaws. I am happy that I could do the assembly and finish all by hand.

 
 
The wood is some scrap wood from ships engine room , perhaps packing crate for machinery spare parts. I had stabilized this wood by a vaccum chamber made on board at near to 1 atm vaccum, but the medium  used was ordinary wood varnish . Can not say how effective the stabilization, but the wood had become much better for turning, ie no chipping etc and the dust was very smooth.
 
 


 
This pen can not be posted. Writing balance is good, though the section is very slippery. The nib is excellent.
This is my first work on Atrax kit , I liked this simple and elegant
 kit. Handwriting sample :
 

No comments:

Post a Comment